When it comes to solid roofs the market broadly leans 2 ways, both of which aim towards the same goal: provide an alternative solution to a standard conservatory roof, to allow the homeowner to completely transform their conservatories into a “normal” plastered room and all the comforts this provides
- The aluminium framed roof: it might be a little over simplistic, but the beginnings of what the industry refers to as the solid roof or warm roof basically comes from repurposing standard aluminium frames. To this was added a variety of boards and insulation, to counteract the obvious issues of cold bridging and condensation found in a system whose main purpose was to provide a structural, slimline frame – as it would always be exposed to the eye
- The timber framed roof was the next logical step to providing the room transformation the homeowner required. This traditional roof structure, one tested through time, is ideally suited. With no cold bridging to worry about, the process of insulating and ventilating the roof is much simpler. Innovative solutions had to be found to ensure its suitability for the conservatory roof replacement market, and matched the expectations of an installer market that prefers to work with ready to use solutions. Solutions like the Icotherm Solid Roof system.
What is the Icotherm solid roof system?
The concept of the Icotherm roof system stemmed from the belief that timber would be an improved solution over aluminium.
- Using a material with thermal conductivity of only 0.16 W/m2k (vs 160 W/m2k for aluminium) immediately simplifies the process of insulation and ventilation, as the timber does not require cloaking.
- Using premium C24 building grade timber and 155mm EPS boards guarantees the structural integrity and U-Value performance (0.18W/m2k, which can be brought down to 0.12W/m2k with the use of insulated plasterboard, ideal for the Scottish market).
- The roof has been designed to be fully ventilated, with airflow circulating over the eaves and through the entire roof, ensuring condensation will never be an issue.
- Pre-fabricated pods and pre-cut insulation provides the installer with a solution that goes up quickly (an average sized roof should go up in 2 hours, with the waterproof membrane on) – always a plus for the homeowner.
This is why Icotherm believes their solution is the best one available on the market today. The company has invested heavily in machinery and people – and will carry on doing so to ensure product quality consistency. “We are here to stay. We want to be the system supplier of choice for UK installers because we are good at what we do” says Anne-Marie Busch, Marketing Manager. “The Icotherm roofs are not just JHAI approved, they also come with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, and we take that commitment to heart.
ABOUT ICOTHERM: Icotherm Roof Systems is a trading name of Iconservatories Limited. Icotherm Roof Systems designs and manufactures timber framed warm roof solutions for the trade. Our most popular roof, Icoroof – a pitched roof, has sold in the thousands since its inception in 2014.